Thursday, August 5, 2010

Arrival

I have made it to Nicaragua. For those interested in my survival, I continue to live and function normally and have not been kidnapped or acquired some horrid disease, at least to my knowledge. I arrived in Managua around noon yesterday, having missed my original flight to Nicaragua due to my connecting flight needing to under maintenance for their malfunctioning air-conditioning. I ended up spending the night in Miami, American Airlines was kind enough to put me up in a local hotel and give me twenty five dollars worth of airport food coupons. The night was uneventful and I made it south of the border with little incident.

The view from the plane was amazing. The picture does not do the view justice, trying to appropriately represent the beauty with a picture taken from an airplane window is a difficult task. I spent a good amount of the flight in awe of the turquoise ocean below me.


I am unsure of what to talk about in my blog. There is far too much to know where to begin, so perhaps I will start with the basics and gradually work my way up.

For those that do not know, I am working with the Center for Development in Central America, which you can read about at http://www.jhc-cdca.org/

Located in scenic Ciudad Sandino, outside of Managua, the compound sports a number of buildings encased in a rather imposing fence. The volunteer dorm is toward the back end of the compound, and is a two story building. The long term volunteers stay on the second floor and the short term delegations stay in the bunks on the bottom. It is also where we gather for meals. Here is a picture of my room. It's rather spartan but all I really have need for is the bed and fan. I have not had much time to become otherwise established, but I'm sure it will only get less organized as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment